Good oral hygiene is important for having a healthy, beautiful smile. However, many people engage in bad dental habits that can cause serious damage to their teeth and gums. It’s important to try and remove any bad habits you have with your health, as they can potentially cause long-term damage to your smile. At Smile Solutions, we’ll be going over some of the five most common bad dental habits and provide tips for breaking them.
Do You Have These 5 Bad Dental Habits?
- Nail Biting – Nail biting may not seem like it’s harmful to your teeth, but the constant pressure and biting can introduce bacteria into your mouth. Combined with poor brushing habits, it can contribute to gum disease and tooth decay. If you’re looking to stop this habit, try using bitter-tasting nail polish to discourage nail biting.
- Using Your Teeth as Tools – Opening packages and bottles with your teeth can be almost instinctual when you are unable to cut or rip something open, but using your teeth to open things can cause damage to your teeth, increasing the risk of them chipping and even breaking. It can also contribute to jaw injuries. If you need to cut something, make sure to use scissors or the appropriate tool for opening packages and keep them on hand.
- Brushing Too Hard – Many people often brush their teeth too hard, causing their gums to recede over time. Overbrushing your teeth can cause your teeth’s roots to become exposed, leading to tooth sensitivity and even tooth loss. When brushing your teeth, make sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and do small, circular motions along your teeth. Avoid the back-and-forth motion or scrubbing your teeth aggressively.
- Not Flossing – As one of the biggest bad habits that most people have, as it’s where most food particles and plaque get stuck. Forgetting or neglecting to floss can easily lead to gum disease, tooth decay, and bad breath. Make sure you floss your teeth at least once a day, and if wax floss doesn’t work, try using a water flosser instead.
- Eating Too Much Sugar – Everyone knows that consuming too much sugar can lead to tooth decay, but sugar is one of the most prominent ingredients in our foods and drinks that’s difficult to avoid. For those with too much sugar in their diets, make sure to check the ingredients list on your foods and drinks and seek out low-sugar alternatives to protect your teeth.
Get Rid of Bad Habits For Good By Visiting Your Dentist!
At Smile Solutions, we can help you learn more about bad hygiene habits and how to properly care for your teeth. Contact our team today to speak with Dr. Robert Berg by calling (516) 872-8780 to visit our office in Garden City, South, NY, to schedule a consultation. We are committed to helping you achieve optimal dental health.